Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Update on progress towards 10k

So my goal of running 10k slipped away from me.

Since posting about my first full 10k training run in years, 10k became a regular event.

Finished off a 10k clinic with a made up race in downtown Halifax in the bitter cold. Was awarded the coolest medal ever made by a virtual strangers Dad. (That stranger is now my regular running partner).

Decided that the MEC Citadel Highlander 10k where I could run the usually inaccessible ditch and the ramparts of Citadel Hill would be very cool. It was a great run, my fastest ever, but a competitive one where my fastest was nearly dead last!

My winter training was geared toward my second attempt at the 10k Bluenose run, with the 13k training run down in Disney World the week before. I was 14 minutes faster than my first attempt in 2008. Amazing what dropping 60lbs can do!

Got hooked on the United by Running series. There was a Sole Sisters women-only 5k. The Maritime Race Weekend Tartan Twosome challenge. That was great. A little 5k on Friday night and a lovely 10k on Saturday morning. Too bad I slept in and nearly didn't get to run at all.

I ran on the ocean floor at Not Since Moses. That might be a once in a lifetime run for me. But it was incredible to run, slip, slide and walk my way 'under water'. Check out the map. Where we ran is normally under many feet of water.

Somewhere in there I got persuaded to take the Half Marathon Clinic at The Running Room.

That's where crazy really kicked in. A 10k training run that finished exactly as the 10k Sackville Sneaker Shredder started to make a LSD total of 20k run.

There were truly amazing accomplishments for me. Like running 127km in September, which topped the all-time high of 112km in August. That's more than double my average monthly kilometers since I got back to running.

More than once in my life running 1 minute was a struggle. If I can get here? You can, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment